Constitution for Brockwell Lido Users’ Association
[Adopted at the Annual General Meeting held on 7th October 2017].
This constitution supersedes that adopted on 26th September 2015.
The name of the Association is the Brockwell Lido Users’ Association also known as BLU.
1.All users, aged 16 or over, of facilities at the Brockwell Lido, including those who swim, use the gym, attend the classes, use the spa and attend Whippersnappers’ activities are eligible to become members. Requests must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, by our brockwelllido.com website under the BLU Membership box, or sent in writing to BLU, Brockwell Lido, Dulwich Road, London SE24 0PA.
2.On joining, members agree to support the Objects of the Association and must conduct themselves with mutual respect for all Lido staff, Lido users, Committee members and other BLU members.
3.Memberships may be subject to payment of a nominal subscription, determined annually at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). Every full member shall have one vote provided they have been in membership six months before the meeting at which the vote is to be taken.
4.The Committee may by two-thirds majority suspend or terminate the membership of any individual member for a breach of the constitution, provided that the individual concerned shall have the right to be heard by the Committee, accompanied by a friend, before a final decision is made, having received reasons for the proposed action in writing at least 14 days before a final decision is made.
The Association is an unincorporated association and shall be managed by the Committee in accordance with this constitution and such rules, standing orders and procedures as the Committee may agree from time to time.
D. Objects of the Association
1. To work to safeguard the Lido’s future as an open-air pool, gym and community based centre for enjoyment of creative, health and child-focused activities.
2. To ensure user involvement and consultation in decisions on the future of the Lido;
3. To provide user representation in future management structures for the Lido.
4. To maintain, promote, support and enhance the user experience.
To further these objectives, but not otherwise, the Committee may exercise the following powers:
1. To represent the views of users in negotiations with Lido Managers, the Council and other relevant local and national groups;
2. To raise funds, invite and receive contributions and incur expenditure.
3. To make donations as determined by the Committee to other organisations whose activities directly support users of the Lido.
4. To do such other lawful things as are necessary for the achievement of the Objects.
At the AGM, which shall be held not more than 15 months after the previous AGM, the members shall elect from among themselves a Chair, Deputy Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer and not more than 8 additional Committee members.
1. The elected officers and other elected members will form the Committee for the Association. The Committee, including officers, should number not less than 8 nor more than 12, not counting co-opted members. They will hold office until the next AGM after their election, but can be re-elected.
2. The Committee may, in addition, appoint up to three voting or non voting co-opted members, who have special skills or knowledge needed by the Committee, or to fill vacancies that arise on the Committee between elections. Any non-voting member co-opted to the Committee will not be permitted to vote on issues at meetings until they have been in membership for six months. All co-opted members shall hold office only until the next AGM.
3.A member of the Committee shall cease to hold office if he or she:
a.Is disqualified by virtue of sections 178-180 of the Charities Act 2011 (or any statutory re-enactment or modification of that provision)
b.Becomes incapable by reason on mental disorder, illness or injury of managing and administering his or her own affairs;
c. Is absent without permission of the Committee from all of their meetings held within a period of six months and the Committee recommended that the office be vacated.
d.Notifies the Committee of a wish to resign;
4.The Committee shall make rules that prevent its members from receiving payment for services from or in relation to the Lido, other than in exceptional circumstances and that ensure any potential, perceived or actual conflicts of interest are appropriately managed and declared.
5.The Committee may by two-thirds majority terminate the membership of a Committee member for good reason, provided that the individual concerned shall have the right to be heard by the Committee, accompanied by a friend, having received reasons for the proposed action in writing at least 14 days before a final decision is made.
6.The Committee shall cease to have a legitimacy if the committee numbers fall below five.
H. Meetings and Proceedings of the Committee Group
1.The Committee shall meet at least four times a year but an additional meeting may be called at any time by the Chair or any two members of the Committee.
2.There shall be a quorum when at least one third of the total members of the Committee are present.
3.Every matter shall be determined by a majority vote of the members of the Committee present. Where a vote is tied, the Chair shall have a casting vote.
4.The Committee shall keep minutes of Committee meetings and meetings of members, and once approved, these will be made available publicly.
5.The Committee shall agree by majority vote, standing orders for the conduct of their business, based on accepted practice for the conduct of such meetings, provided they remain consistent with this constitution.
6.The Committee may appoint sub-committees for the purpose of making an inquiry or supervising or performing any function or duty.
7.Subject to G6, the proceedings of the Committee shall not be invalidated by any vacancy among their number.
I. Financial Management
1. All sums collected shall be paid over to a treasurer who shall pay the same into a bank account in the name of the association established at any bank approved by the Committee. Withdrawals from this account require signatures from two of the members of Committee nominated by the Committee for this purpose.
2. Accounts shall be kept and externally examined annually, prior to being presented at the AGM.
3. A financial report shall be made to the members at each AGM.
4. The Association is a non-profit making body, but it may hold surpluses.
J. Meetings of Members
1. There shall be a minimum of one General Meeting of members each year, being the AGM, which will include a report from the Committee on action taken and a financial report. Members must be given a minimum of 21 days notice of the meeting.
2. Other general meetings of members or Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM), may be called by the Committee, or on request of 15 members entitled to vote. Members must be given a minimum of 21 days’ notice of the meeting unless the Committee determines by two-thirds majority that more urgency is required.
3. At any meeting of members, the quorum shall be 20 members entitled to vote and decisions will be made by majority vote.
4.Nominations to the Committee and to Officer roles must be made by two members eligible to vote, in writing to email@example.com at least 7 days before the AGM or EGM. Should nominations exceed vacancies, election shall be by a show of hands, unless the meeting agrees to a ballot. Nominees must be BLU members and have held a continuous membership for at least 6 months prior to nomination.
K. Changes to the Constitution
This constitution may be amended by a resolution of an AGM or EGM of the members of the Association carried by a majority of at least two-thirds of the members present eligible to vote. Notice of the meeting shall have contained notice of the resolution and been circulated to members at least 14 days prior to the meeting.
If the Committee decides that it is necessary to dissolve the Association, it shall call a meeting of members, giving at least 21 days’ notice stating the terms of the resolution for dissolution. If the proposal is confirmed by a two-thirds majority of those present eligible to vote, the Committee shall settle all debts and liabilities. Any assets remaining after all debts are paid shall be given or spent for the benefit of Brockwell Lido or transferred to other not-for-profit organisations with similar Objects. and with the approval of members present who are eligible to vote.
On dissolution, the Association’s records shall be deposited with Lambeth Archives.