BLU asked Lido users to give their views on its future by filling in questionnaires. 873 questionnaires were completed. The main views expressed were:
- The Lido should be run as a large open-air pool with at least the current opening hours and season.
- The Lido complex should provide an environment in which those of all ages, different life styles and from all cultural backgrounds feel welcome and safe.
- The rooms surrounding the Lido should be available to local self-employed instructors, teachers or practitioners who can offer activities that promote health, fitness and creativity. In the short-term, the activities now well-established should be protected.
- A reasonable variety of food and drink should be available for purchase.
50% of those completing questionnaires live in Lambeth, 25% in Southwark. Click here to view a breakdown by postcode.
Over 90% of respondents say that the Lido is ‘very important’ to them. Only 5% of people are unconditionally in favour of covering the pool. Respondents said that the best things about the Lido for them were:
- its focus on atmosphere/ambiance
- the fact it is open air/outdoors
- the size of the pool
- the fact that is safe (especially for women and children) and relaxing
- the friendliness of the staff
- the mix of people who use the Lido
Suggestions for improvements focus on the toilets/changing rooms, on a ‘healthy eating’ menu and on extending the opening hours.
There is considerable support for additional activities, such as scuba diving, life saving classes, swimming lessons, a health club and a restaurant.