Brockwell Lido was opened on July 10th, 1937. Lambeth Council paid £24,000 and the London County Council £2000 for the construction. The architects of the modernist Lido were Rowbotham and Smithson. Lambeth Council ran the Lido until 1990 when they closed the Lido. The pool stayed closed until 1994 and was squatted and used for art, performance and cinema. In 1992, Michael Boyle led a campaign to save the Lido. In 1994 Lambeth handed a seven year lease to Paddy Castledine and Casey McGlue who ran the Lido until 2007. BLU was set up in 2001 when Lambeth withdrew their financial support. The Lido was listed Grade11 in 2003. Fusion was chosen from bidders. In 2006, the gym extension was built and the whole refurbished Lido was opened in 2007.
Read the full history of Brockwell Lido in Out of the Blue , a Celebration of Brockwell Park Lido by Peter Bradley, available at Lido reception.